FA Cup Ram Raid: Port out on Penalties to Buriram

Port FC 0 – 0 Buriram United FC

(Buriram win 9-8 on penalties)




Port’s defense of the FA Cup ended this week, falling to Buriram on penalties after a lacklustre 120 minutes of football. In truth the visitors probably deserved it more and Port only seemed to raise their game towards the end of the match.


As expected club captain David Rochela returned to the line up and was partnered by Tanaboon, while Chappuis kept his place in the starting XI after arguably his best performance in a Port shirt at Chiang Rai on the weekend. Settling into our seats at The Sportsman, the first half was a tepid affair, in fact, the only time someone was on their feet was after they ordered a spicy beef salad with extra chillies. Go came close with a long range shot at the end of the half which was smartly saved by Siwarak but I personally spent most of my time marvelling at Buriram’s new Brazilian centre back Rodrigo; the guy is fucking gigantic and nullified Suarez and Bonilla single handedly. Oh, Pakorn got subbed before half time. Maybe he was injured, or maybe his food delivery had arrived? Port’s lackadaisical approach in the first half continued into the second half but some tactical substitutions from Coach Oud helped give Port a new sense of urgency and they started to match their opponents. Suarez had a couple of good chances, as did substitute Nattawut, before Go made a complete hash of a golden opportunity, so extra time was needed.

El Capitán Rochela back starting and making last ditch tackles

The TV channel showing the match completely screwed up, forgetting the chance of extra time so the Port fans at The Sportman had to endure a loop of adverts and missed the first 8 minutes. During that period Bonilla missed a great chance, volleying directly at the Buriram keeper, before Kevin saw his low cross deflected goalwards in the second period but Siwarak produced the best save of the match. 

So penalties were to decide the tie and, at 4-4, Rattanai managed to save Chakkit’s effort and gave Tanasith the opportunity for Port to win it. Sadly his penalty was easily saved, far too close to the keeper, and we were into sudden death. At 9-8 Tanaboon shot cannoned off the keeper’s legs over the goal frame and that was that; Port were out.

Tanaboon is consoled after missing the decisive penalty

It’s a shame that Port took over 60 minutes to show some initiative but Buriram were solid and stuck to their game plan. Gama has clearly drilled them into a strong defensive unit and if they had a more clinical forward line they would have beaten us soundly. So we need to continue grinding out results in the league and hope BG drop points to have any chance of silverware. To be honest, this campaign has been so drawn out I’m not even sure what’s going on but it’s Sukhothai on the weekend so lets hope Oud can get his players ready for the next match.


Man of the Match :

Kevin – Arguably the player showing the most initiative on the pitch, he came closest to scoring and his drive and determination were excellent. His form has been very strong in the last few matches.  

Toby Knight

Toby Knight

North Londoner, Arsenal fan and believer in lucky cigars, Toby happily stumbled upon Port FC 4 years ago. The rest, as they say, is history.

More Posts


Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *